View Single Post
Old 02-17-2019, 04:45 PM   #43
Victoria
Guru
Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipad, Kindle PW 4, iphone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
A couple of peculiarities in the text piqued my interest. For example:

"English-looking hand" - What is an English-looking hand?

"Nazi-style doorway." - What is one of these?
Neat pick up. Fountain pens are one of my hobbies, but I’ve never come across any reference to an English style of cursive handwriting. The Nazi-style doorway is puzzle too.

I learned several new terms from the book. Referring to a senior official as a ‘Mandarin’ was a new term, as were ‘G-WOT’ (Global war on terror) and ‘Eurosceptic’.

‘Extraordinary rendition’ was new too, and an interesting use of the word ‘rendition’.

Last edited by Victoria; 02-17-2019 at 04:55 PM.
Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote