View Single Post
Old 06-18-2018, 06:53 AM   #42
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
[...] As with other reviews here, one thing I couldn't quite understand was Milady's cowardly collapse. [...]
Has anyone here read both the Hobson and the Pevear translations?

With the Pevear translation I didn't get the sense of cowardly collapse*. There was obvious desperation (asking lackeys to protect her escape, and various other elements that I would describe - based on Pevear's translation - as desperate rather than cowardly), but surely some desperation is to be expected when there a 6 men before you, all determined to see you dead.

* Disclaimer: It's also possible that I was skimming a bit by this time.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote