View Single Post
Old 06-20-2007, 11:37 AM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
It sounds like it's at least partly a matter of regional dialectoid type variance, JSWolf. Then too, there's the effect of usage drift, i.e. things that are correct now weren't then and vice versa, language and usage have shifted a bit even in a mere 210 years.
Well, my wife is from Scotland and she has also lived in Englad and Germany as well. I asked her about this and she said that "forty millions" and "practising" were incorrect. The rest just look wrong because there doesn't seem to be a good way to handle a Boston accent in print. I would have just not bothered to be honest since it just looks like errant hyphens left in by mistake.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote