View Single Post
Old 09-21-2021, 05:47 AM   #21
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
I can never decide if the rise of vinyl is the funniest thing that has happened recently, or the stupidest. It's probably both.

When I changed from vinyl to CDs, I did miss the covers. But, not the space taken, pain of putting them on or the noise inherent in the format.
Also wow, rumble, scratches, frequency response degrades with number of playings, dynamic range as well as noise. Having to flip a classic work in the middle.

Here the supermarket has nearly as much shelf space for vinyl as CD and most of the vinyl titles are on CD on the next bay at half the price.

It’s fashion and exploitation. Also the suitcase style players on sale with 33, 45 & 78 have no 78 stylus and worse performance than many 1958 to 1965 cheap record players; partly due to tiny tinny speakers barely better than laptop speakers. I have tested one of these current players. I also have two HiFi players with magnetic cartridges; those modern suitcase players have too short an arm and ceramic cartridges. I also have a 1935, three 1950s models and two 1960s models, one a plastic cased transistor portable that has a better turntable than the new ones, but a similar quality cartridge that has a flip over pair of stylii for 78 and 45/33. There are actually some pre 1949 33 discs going back to 1931 that need the 78 stylus, but rare.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote