View Single Post
Old 09-15-2012, 12:00 PM   #44
Francois_C
Zealot
Francois_C can illuminate an eclipseFrancois_C can illuminate an eclipseFrancois_C can illuminate an eclipseFrancois_C can illuminate an eclipseFrancois_C can illuminate an eclipseFrancois_C can illuminate an eclipseFrancois_C can illuminate an eclipseFrancois_C can illuminate an eclipseFrancois_C can illuminate an eclipseFrancois_C can illuminate an eclipseFrancois_C can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Touch, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
This isn't "unreleased beta software". It is is released for a certain environment. Up until yesterday, it was assumed to be only for the Japanese environment. But, apparently, it is being put on certain non-Japanese devices. My guess is that it is going on devices with a particular hardware level and that the Japanese got these first (...)
I suppose I was lucky if it was a matter of hardware: I installed it from a downloaded archive on my Kobo Touch purchased in France at the very beginning of this year, and it works really better than 2.0.
It works also on a Kobo Touch I purchased for my daughter one month ago, which never ran a firmware prior to 2.0 (I installed firmware 2.0 before I copied any book in order to avoid useless and space-wasting copies of the covers in the .kobo/images directory).
The French Dictionary is no longer the inept one included in 2.0, but a more comprehensive Larousse, and language detection now works.
I did not experience any crash since I use this firmware. Of course I'm looking forward to 2.1.2, as some bugs of 2.0 are still not corrected:
For instance, if you close a book you opened for the first time, the cover of the previous one appears as the device is put in sleep mode. If you light then put to sleep again, the right one appears. It will be reproduced any time you open another book, even if you have opened it before. So it is not caused by, say, a lack of copy of the cover at first. I think this is a programming thoughtlessness.

Last edited by Francois_C; 09-15-2012 at 12:16 PM.
Francois_C is offline   Reply With Quote