View Single Post
Old 03-02-2012, 06:20 PM   #1
davidwfleming
Ebook Dude
davidwfleming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidwfleming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidwfleming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidwfleming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidwfleming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidwfleming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidwfleming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidwfleming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidwfleming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidwfleming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidwfleming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Lightbulb Secrets of Indie Success

So, I thought I might start a thread for general discussions on indie e-publishing strategies and philosophies. I’ll start:

It seems of late that the secret to success in Indie Publishing is (along with writing a good book, tenacity, and being everywhere on the web) being a jack-of-all-trades.

Most people, however, fall into one of two camps: left-brained or right-brained; logical or creative; task-masters or visionaries. Speaking of my own experiences, it’s easy to dive into this and just lead with one’s strengths. Like many writer’s, I’m a little more right-brained and so I find myself constantly spinning out new strategies, trying new things but I’ve decided lately that I need to be more detail-orientated—more of a disciplined task-master.

I’ve noticed many people on the web just running through their same routines over and over with regard to publicizing their efforts (mostly from an erroneous, broadcaster model…myself included at times). It seems beneficial to vary ones efforts and try out new things while being thorough in one’s efforts. One example is Shelfari. I recently filled out the profiles on all my books on Shelfari and it felt like such a tedious task at the time but I know it will be worth it in the long run.

There has to be some sort of synergistic payoff to employing “dual-brain” strategies i.e. trying things that are a little risky and new and yet doing them with thoroughness, consistency and patience.

These are just some of my overall thoughts to start things off. What secrets, advice, philosophies or tips do other writers or readers have?
davidwfleming is offline   Reply With Quote