View Single Post
Old 02-24-2008, 04:34 PM   #4
cfw123
Enthusiast
cfw123 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Music and audio books on your Kindle.

There are two folders on your Kindle that are involved. Both can be loaded only from your computer via the supplied USB cable. Only one of these can be in use at the same time, as there is only one volume control.

One can be loaded with "songs" or other MP3 music, which will be played in random sequence while you are readikng -- true background music. With this one the only thig you can do is to turn it on or turn it off.

The other folder holds audio books, which must already be in MP3 form before they are loaded into their folder via the cable from your computer. You can choose which one of these (there could be many) that you want to listen to. They show up in the directory with a symbol showing they are audio.

Music of either kind covered above, takes a lot more space in your Kindle memory than do the text files of books. For this reason, I have an 8 GB SDHC high capacity memory card, which gives me a great amount of space to hold such things.

I don't care for background music myself -- it is too distracting for my taste. But I think the Kindle is a very good audio book player -- much better than just have a CD (like a walkman) player to listen to them, or using your home music player or automobile player.

What I would like to have, and perhaps Kindle will add this as a feature in a new release someday automatically downloaded to your Kindle, is to have both background music and audio books able to be downloaded from the wireless support, and perhaps sold on the Kindle Store.

Charles Wilkes, San Jose, Calif.
cfw123 is offline   Reply With Quote