View Single Post
Old 08-17-2020, 08:24 AM   #1422
HinzundKunz
HinzundKunz began at the beginning.

Device: tolino
add image to pdf as title page

It would be absolutely awesome if calibre could be able to embed external images into pdf files as title pages. There are external tools that can do this, but it is a bothersome process to do it one file at a time. Within calibre you could just select all the pdf files you would want to do this on and it would be a batch process.
Why: I have a lot of pdfs that do not have a title page, they just start with the first page of the book. I have added title images to those, so that I recognize them easily.
When exporting pdf ebooks to my reader, the title images I added within calibre don't show. It would be nice if they would show as well, and the only way to do this is to embed them.
Within Linux, this is very easy on the command line:
cd "whatever directory the file is in"
convert cover.jpg cover.pdf
pdftk cover.pdf "whatever name the pdf has.pdf" output "whatever name you want to give.pdf"

But to do this for the ~450 files I know to not have any title page still is cumbersome. If I were more of a bash expert, I would just write a shell script that does this, but I'm not. Also, running a shell script on a set of subdirectories will also result in titles get reduplicated when there already is a title page.
My idea is a plugin that runs on selected titles within the library, so that on export to my reader, the title images show there as well.

It would be great, if someone more knowledgeable than me would pick this up...
HinzundKunz is offline   Reply With Quote