View Single Post
Old 11-13-2010, 02:08 AM   #109
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete_1967 View Post
It's not just the fact that the image is a photograph of the real thing taken in less than perfect conditions, you are also looking at re-sized, most probably 72dpi, compressed jpg image. There is no way to evaluate the true quality of the display or colours it produces from that picture.

For example I just downloaded RHEL 6 manuals in epub format and they contain colours and colour images and having them shown in colours on my reader would be perfect, even if only in 256.
Do you realize that has nothing to do with anything more than image detail rather than color depth. Old CRT TV's had what would be called pathetic resolution typically around 320x200 lines no matter what size the TV...but they were able to display wonderful full color images. Why? because they could display the entire color gamut. Pixel/dot density has nothing to do with the ability to show wonderfully colorful images. But those displays were also analog not digital. It was not until the digital era when PPI became an issue, DPI on a LCD is pretty much a meaningless number, in fact one can set a JPG to 20 DPI and you won't be able to tell it apart from a 1200 DPI image in a video display. Printed versions will use DPI though. It's the pixel density that affects IQ on a display these days. DPI is a buzzword used by marketing simply because the consumer had seen the acronym in reference to their printers.

Another misconception is the whole megapixel wars with digital cameras...the number of megapixels has NOTHING to do with IQ and the ability of the image to reveal detail, only has an affect when printing larger sized images. And even then there are ways around that as well because all the needed information lives inside the JPG and of course the RAW file already.

Still as you say, even just having 256 colors will do for a large number of books. I tell people to think of simply poster-type/line-art graphics rather than photographic grade output. Even comic books would do pretty well with just 256 colors for the most part.
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote