View Single Post
Old 06-21-2010, 01:30 PM   #22
m-reader
Guru
m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Sony PRS-300. PRS-650, PRS-900, iPad2, Iconia A500, Irex Iliad (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
That *is* how Sony operates. Standard M.O.

But this time it won't fly.
The market has made it clear it values wireless more than it values touch screens. Even if you make the two features interchangeable, it means their PRS-600 replacement is going to *have* to be no more than $199. And the PRS900 at $349 (tolerable yesterday) is suddenly almost twice the new benchmark.

Simply put: *every* ebook reader is going to be weighed against the WiFi Nook. Does it have comparable features? Is the price comparable? And if its priced higher, do the added features justify the cost?

That is what Sony is facing.
And for a large format wireless reader, $399 is going to be a tough sell.
At that price it had better be best in breed.
And Sony Readers haven't been *that* competitive for years. Good solid buys, yes. Best in breed? No.

This move is going to make waves for a while.
You are on the money with most of what you said here. I'd only disagree on your assertion that a $399 large format e-reader wouldn't sell. I know a bunch of people (including myself ) who would pay $500 easy for a decent 9" device in a flash.
Granted they wouldn't be selling as many of them, but there is a market of professionals out there just hanging for that 9"+ Skiff or Que or whatever to come out already.
m-reader is offline   Reply With Quote