View Single Post
Old 05-29-2017, 12:33 PM   #1
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
how to fix/workaround a truncated table display

what I want to polish is a single table within the epub of Hilary Clinton - How I Lost. I jsut want to tweak my own reading copy.

The epub opens with a two column table called cast of characters, which looks ok in sigil, but on my tablet in moon+ the right hand column is truncating - missing some characters.-
[ A common issue with tables I believe and a reason to NOT use them.
BUt in this case, the publisher has, so I figured I'd try to learn enough about table CSS to see if I can tweak the display within my personal copy of it.

or use a quick and dirty way to just wipe all the table code & go to a simple text list, with some tab or alt separator , if that is easier?

I will also check out the kindle azw sample version, if there is one, to see if that has been coded differently/ works better on tablet.

so here's a small fair use bit - can anyone advise on how to tweak it so that all text is visible- it does seem to wrap, but only after some stuff within the right hand column table boxes is lost

my immediate prime suspects is columen of 25% and 50% that does not add up to 100% ?
<h1 class="chaptertitle">CAST OF CHARACTERS</h1>

<table cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" class="table-note" width="100%">
<colgroup class="calibre3">
<col width="25%" class="calibre4"/>

<col width="60%" class="calibre4"/>
</colgroup>

<tbody>
<tr class="calibre5">
<td valign="top" class="calibre6">
<b class="calibre7">Huma Abedin</b>
</td>

Hillary Clinton’s closest aide
</td>
</tr>

<tr class="calibre5">
<b class="calibre7">Julian Assange</b>
</td>

Founder and publisher of WikiLeaks
</td>
</tr>
heres a bit that truncates as its too wide:
Secretary of state in the George H.W. Bush administration
</td>

and some related css. ( I ran it through a calibre conversion so see if that would auto fic it - hence all the calibre CSS styles - but no joy)
.calibre3 {
display: table-column-group
}
.calibre4 {
display: table-column
}
.calibre5 {
display: table-row;
page-break-inside: avoid;
vertical-align: middle
}
.calibre6 {
display: table-cell;
padding-bottom: 1px;
padding-left: 1px;
padding-right: 1px;
padding-top: 1px;
text-align: left;
vertical-align: inherit
}
.calibre7 {
font-weight: bold
}

Last edited by stumped; 05-29-2017 at 12:39 PM.
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote