View Single Post
Old 07-09-2012, 03:30 PM   #45
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojoba View Post
Thanks for that! I guess this is partially about personal preference and he'll just have to test it out to see what he's comfortable with it. In his field, nearly all the journal articles are text only, but there is the occasional table and sometimes the journal format is two columns. And I've noted an additional vote for ezPDF
Well my vote was both, if I had to recommend one I would probably recommend RepliGo. The nice thing about both of these apps is they use the PDF standard for annotations so that data is preserved in the PDF so you can easily switch between the two PDF readers w/o losing any info.

The main difference between the two readers is ezPDF has a better zoom algorithm so it makes it easy to crop the margins and read a book from beginning to end.

RepliGo has a better PDF rendering engine so it loads the pages faster, searches the PDF faster and handles more PDF.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
OK, thanks. That wouldn't work for me. As a part of my job I need to read lots of PDFs with complex formatting, diagrams, etc, so reflow just doesn't work for me. Displaying such PDFs is one thing that the iPad is superb for. But for most other tasks, I find that I'm using the Tab 2 7" now.
Same here, most of the books I read have a similar layout as the ones you mentioned. I've found however that most PDF books waste 2-3" of space due to headers and margins. A smart program like ezPDF can auto crop those margins, by double tapping the body of the text, which makes the PDF very readable. With a 10" tablet you don't have to do this thus reading making reading on a 10" is very nice but then you have a lot of wasted space.

I rarely use reflow mode unless I know there are no tables/images then I turn it on. In landscape mode you do not have to use reflow at all. The screen is wide enough to fit most PDF. I just don't like landscape for the reasons I mentioned above.
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote