View Single Post
Old 01-03-2011, 10:55 AM   #14
cutterjohn42
Addict
cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm IIIx, EBM-911, REB-1100(dead), PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChipS View Post
Greetings all and Happy New Year,

I was seriously looking at purchasing a NookColor as a Christmas gift for myself.
I was all set. 3 places here in town had at least one or two in stock. Walmart was closest and so I went. 1 left in the cabinet, bought it and was happy as a clam, til I got it home, charged it up and half the screen was bad, did reset and it only got worse..I immediately ran to return it, no others in stock, clerk in the electronics Dept said I was 2nd one returned for screen issues. Went down to street to Best Buy. Had to hassle with the clerk over the fact I did NOT want the $312.00 package with a Targus case, just wanted the Nook color. I asked to check out the unit before purchase, glad I did. IT WAS cracked and chipped. Okay, this happens, shipping....
This clerk told me they have had a "few" that were bad and returned and go with the Kindle, I would be happier. Said that Nook's were poor on quality control prior to shipping. OKAY.
2 days ago I went to another local Walmart and 2 color units in stock and both were open boxes with fingerprints on the displays and poorly repackaged. Oh, no not going to chance it! 3 STRIKES and your OUT!!!
I guess it just ain't in the cards for me..I will let it wait...Karma ain't good with this Nook color idea and me...I will wait for the proper alignment of the stars and the planets, AND what my cats say ( they said try on 1-1-11 !)...LOL....

Was not going across town to try my luck again.
My first one had a defective miniUSB port on the NC. It was VERY (unusually so) difficult to get the charger/data cable to insert into the port at all, but I managed it twice on the first day that I had it... almost took it back as soon as I had gotten home and was going to charge but had trouble inserting the cable, but I didn't since after c. 10m of fiddling I got it to insert smoothly, and I hoped that all would be well and that it would loosen up eventually...

However, the next morning no amount of fiddling could get the cable inserted, so off to B&N I went as soon as they opened. The idiot there was trying to tell me that's just the way it works (WTF?!) and that is was fine (WTF?!). I made him plug the charger into power then asked him where the LED light on the cable was and why didn't the NC turn on? (clueless look on imbecile's face) Then he has a bright idea of trying their cable, same deal as it was the port in the NC, so finally I get him to try the demo unit... oh look it side right in and out no problem, but the idiot is still insisting that mine was fine until I point out several things to the imbecile, LED light was on on demo unit, and it inserted further. Finally they cough up an exchange unit, which I promptly opened to check the cable/port which was OK on that one... didn't turn on to check the screen, etc. as they actually had people in line (9a! New Year's Eve?!), but the rest is OK.

So not only are they failing at QA, they also are severely lacking in customer service and sales. (Went to look at a NC at the B&N and the woman that they had at the kiosk was more interested in reading her NC than trying to sell me one, but all I had planned to do that day was to take a look at one, but still... and when I did finally go back to buy one the woman at the kiosk made it seem like such a chore... I was about ready to tell them to just keep it...)

(I probably should've bought it at the Worst Buy(literally across the street), but their sales staff always puts me off as in they're useless and always trying to upsell crap that I don't want or annoying the hell out of me. Also on alot of electronics Worst Buy gets a crappier version that and sells it for a price that gets you one with better specs(and warranty) through say Newegg or Amazon... e.g. notebooks... NC would be OK since it only has one version...)

Last edited by cutterjohn42; 01-03-2011 at 10:59 AM.
cutterjohn42 is offline   Reply With Quote