View Single Post
Old 01-02-2020, 04:54 PM   #42
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
As far as I can tell, both in regards to something like Calibre for iOS and an eBook reader, it's very hard to make a living at producing either product. The market is too small, and too many potential customers aren't willing to pay for it. I know that Apple is urging developers to move to a subscription model, but it doesn't seem very popular with the customers.

I suspect the best hope is that someone will start up an open source project at some point. The base product, a database of ebooks with various views of the data, is pretty straight forward. But there is a lot of additional pieces to figure out and implement such as syncing with Calibre, copying and saving the eBooks and transferring the eBooks to reader software. Someone who knows what they are doing and has a lot of time on their hands could likely have a working beta version in a few months.
You cannot have an open source iOS program. There's no way to run from source. And you have to get all apps from the app store.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote