View Single Post
Old 03-09-2019, 02:02 AM   #54
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: Franklin,Orig Droid,Kindle KB-3G,Archos 43,Samsung S3,iPhone5,FireHD8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
True. I have a Titanium and 18KY Tag Heuer that I bought in 1987. I wear it every day and the Sapphire Crystal is also scratch free. But, if you are rough enough they can be scratched or even broken. I have replaced enough broken Sapphire Crystals, in customer's watches, over the years.

Last year I sent my watch back to Heuer for a servicing. They actually called me. They complemented me on the good condition my watch is in for it's age. Then they informed me that my timepiece is a vintage watch. (1987 is vintage?????) They also informed me that there are no parts available for my watch. They never made a lot of them and at the time they were one of the first companies to offer Titanium watches. I am heart broken.
I know the feeling. My father and my mother's brother collected watches. Mostly total mechanical. They had some expensive time pieces, mostly dress but a few with navigator type functions. I ended up with all but two of my father's and all but 6 of my uncles. The 8 I didn't get went to other descendants that were interested mostly in the big name ones.

These were the big name watches. e.g. https://www.thetrendspotter.net/20-t...h-brands-know/
Some of these have stopped working at least in part, and are too expensive to be revived completely. (even simple cleanings).

I personally was almost entirely gadget oriented. Navigational, computational, dive, celestial and tide type watches. In particular I liked the oldest watches with compasses and tidal predictors with built in correction adjustments. I also have some old ship compasses and navigational instruments that will work when the GPS satellites are knocked out by aliens or warring nations.

I thought at one time to build/collect an inertial guidance system to augment dead reckoning but that fizzled out. You can only do so much.

The avarice of collectors being what it is today even these old gadget watches have become too expensive to further my collection though I still update my more modern versions.

There are clubs that have invitational private showings of watches by members and sometimes dealers. The membership and the showings are secretive generally so that the chance for theft is reduced. The bigger ones have security even for a half dozen guys in a hotel suite. Some of the people will trade, buy or even "borrow" watches. "Watch nerds!"

https://www.chronext.com/journal/buy...o-look-out-for
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote