View Single Post
Old 09-26-2012, 03:01 AM   #12
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by rashkae View Post
I think I figured it out... Kobo tried to implement a neat "Suggested Searches" feature, similar to the one Google uses to catch typos. (For example, if you search Google for Haloween, it will instead display results for Halloween, then include a link to search for 'haloween' in case that's what you really wanted.

However, for some reason, Kobo extended the replacement table from comon typos to broad association, which can have ... interesting results if you search for books whose title or authors have keywords in the replacement table.

Kobo Search does work the same way though. If you search for Halloween, you will see below the "Displaying results for:" line a "You searched for "Halloween". Click on that small text Halloween and the search results will be for Halloween.

Kobo really should get a grip on this 'feature' fast. Substituting Title or Author Name searches with something completely different is going to attracks lawyers like sharks to blooded water.
Thanks for that... that makes sense.

So, I went to try it. And indeed, searching for halloween (no quotes) gives me a search for "horror", which it says it has done. It also says I searched for "halloween," and apparently that word is a link. So, I clicked that link, thinking I'd now get a list of books from a search for "halloween." BUT, instead, I get a list of adult fiction?! The first one is understandable, as it has "halloween" in the "by" field... but the others? As if only the first book from the search is displayed and the rest are associated to the first book. These are completely different results (except for the first book) than when I'd actually search for "halloween" (with quotes).

So you're suggestion comes very close, but there's slightly more too it. Weird.
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote