View Single Post
Old 04-16-2020, 02:22 PM   #3
arooni
Addict
arooni began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4 (2018)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
Still can't reproduce > 1s lookups on *any* device on my end ^^.

On the devices I have, the bottleneck is clearly I/O, the fastest one (Forma) happens the be the one with the least craptastic I/O performance.

TL;DR: Unless there's a specific quirk going on on newer Kindles that no-one has figured out yet, I'm afraid there's no magic bullet.

(I'd double-check manually with sdcv's CLI, while plugged in, and with the cpu governor pinned to performance, just in case).
Code:
[root@kindle koreader]# time ./sdcv -02 data/dict/ quaint
Found 3 items, similar to quaint.
-->WordNet (r) 1.7
-->quaint

quaint
     adj 1: strange in an interesting or pleasing way; "quaint dialect
            words"; "quaint streets of New Orleans, that most
            foreign of American cities"
     2: very strange or unusual; odd or even incongruous in
        character or appearance; "the head terminating in the
        quaint duck bill which gives the animal its vernacular
        name"- Bill Beatty; "came forth a quaint and fearful
        sight"- Sir Walter Scott; "a quaint sense of humor"
     3: attractively old-fashioned; "houses with quaint thatched
        roofs"; "a vaulted roof supporting old-time chimney pots"
        [syn: {old-time}]

-->GNU Collaborative International Dictionary of English
-->quaint

<p><b style="color: #00b">Quaint</b> <i>(?)</i>, <i style="color: #a00">a.</i> [OE. <span style="color: #8B4513">queint</span>, <span style="color: #8B4513">queynte</span>, <span style="color: #8B4513">coint</span>, prudent, wise, cunning, pretty, odd, OF. <span style="color: #8B4513">cointe</span> cultivated, amiable, agreeable, neat, fr. L. <span style="color: #8B4513">cognitus</span> known, p. p. of <span style="color: #8B4513">cognoscere</span> to know; <span style="color: #8B4513">con + noscere</span> (for <span style="color: #8B4513">gnoscere</span>) to know. See <a href="bword://Know">Know</a>, and cf. <a href="bword://Acquaint">Acquaint</a>, <a href="bword://Cognition">Cognition</a>.] <b>1.</b> Prudent; wise; hence, crafty; artful; wily. <span style="color: #00b">[Obs.]</span></p><p><i style="color: #33f">Clerks be full subtle and full <b>quaint</b>.</i> <small>Chaucer.</small></p><p><b>2.</b> Characterized by ingenuity or art; finely fashioned; skillfully wrought; elegant; graceful; nice; neat. <span style="color: #00b">[Archaic]</span> “ The <i>queynte</i> ring.” “ His <i>queynte</i> spear.” <small>Chaucer.</small> “ A shepherd young <i>quaint</i>.”  <small>Chapman.</small></p><p><i style="color: #33f">Every look was coy and wondrous <b>quaint</b>.</i> <small>Spenser.</small></p><p><i style="color: #33f">To show bow <b>quaint</b> an orator you are.</i> <small>Shak.</small></p><p><b>3.</b> Curious and fanciful; affected; odd; whimsical; antique; archaic; singular; unusual; as, <span style="color: 33a"><i>quaint</i> architecture; a <i>quaint</i> expression.</span></p><p><i style="color: #33f">Some stroke of <b>quaint</b> yet simple pleasantry.</i> <small>Macaulay.</small></p><p><i style="color: #33f">An old, long-faced, long-bodied servant in <b>quaint</b> livery.</i> <small>W. Irving.</small></p><p><b>Syn.</b> -- <a href="bword://Quaint">Quaint</a>, <a href="bword://Odd">Odd</a>, <a href="bword://Antique">Antique</a>.  <i>Antique</i> is applied to that which has come down from the ancients, or which is made to imitate some ancient work of art. <i>Odd</i> implies disharmony, incongruity, or unevenness. An <i>odd</i> thing or person is an exception to general rules of calculation and procedure, or expectation and common experience. In the current use of <i>quaint</i>, the two ideas of <i>odd</i> and <i>antique</i> are combined, and the word is commonly applied to that which is pleasing by reason of both these qualities.  Thus, we speak of the <i>quaint</i> architecture of many old buildings in London; or a <i>quaint</i> expression, uniting at once the antique and the fanciful.</p>

-->Oxford Advanced Learner's Dictionary 8th Ed.
-->quaint

quaint  [quaint quainter quaintest] BrE  [kweɪnt] z_quaint__gb_1.wav NAmE  [kweɪnt] z_quaint__us_1.wav  adjective
attractive in an unusual or old-fashioned way
• quaint old customs
•  a quaint seaside village
Derived*Words: ↑quaintly ▪ ↑quaintness
Word*Origin:
 Middle English: from  Old French  cointe, from  Latin  cognitus  ‘ascertained’, past participle of  cognoscere. The original sense was  ‘wise, clever’, also  ‘ingenious, cunningly devised’, hence  ‘out of the ordinary’  and the current sense (late 18th cent.).
Example*Bank:
• The village looks rather quaint.
•  a quaint little town well worth a visit
•  Why not stay a night in this quaint seaside village?

real    0m 3.92s
user    0m 0.37s
sys     0m 0.77s
[root@kindle koreader]#
so getting 3+ seconds via sdcv ; is this due to multiple dictionaries being there? perhaps i need to move them out of that directory?
arooni is offline   Reply With Quote