View Single Post
Old 11-22-2009, 10:48 AM   #130
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
Quote:
Originally Posted by SensualPoet View Post
And what about translations? The rules apply to author and translator equally, would they not? Unless the original is PD and the translator chooses to make his/her rendition PD as well? Here I am thinking of works by Hermann Hesse, in particular Demian.

Generally, are the Canadian applicable in GB and AU?
I think that you're right about translations, SP. I've been looking for a PD translation of Demian, but there isn't one available. There is a PD translation of Siddhartha, which I converted a while ago.

As for the UK and most of Europe: they have a life of the author plus 70 years rule.
Australia is more complicated. It used to be life+50 years, then moved to life +70 years. But all the works that had entered the public domain under the life+50 years rule, stayed PD.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote