View Single Post
Old 09-22-2009, 01:27 PM   #8
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahi View Post
I haven't had a chance to look at it on my reader yet... but it certainly looks like it will be considerably more readable.

It also looks a lot better than the texts I uploaded... for reasons I have not yet managed to fully discern. Care to give your opinion?

Is the problem with mine perhaps the quality (or perhaps just the frequency) of punctuation? Or is it too sparsely spaced?

What did you use to make your file, LDBoblo?

- Ahi
Looks to be the leading is causing the biggest problems in your file. The punctuation is problematic only in how profuse it is in parts, and I suspect that would be the case with any typeface/setting. Open up the leading a little bit, but not too much, and it should start looking clearer. I suspect the Ming font being cramped into such a space makes it harder to look at. Pocket books with Ming fonts are printed quite small. I set the first article from Sunzi Bingfa with a 9pt face and spaced the heading close to the top so as to keep it on one page. See the attachment below.

Believe it or not, I'm using Word for this but Word has been developed quite a bit in the last several iterations with CJK publishing in mind, and for straight-up text without too much extra, it's becoming an unofficial standard of some publishing houses in East Asia. 2010 with moderately decent OpenType features actually performs admirably for this task. It's not TeX, but at its best, it is pretty damn decent. Non-CJK languages are OK with Word but nothing special...TeX still has the goods with paragraphs and hyphenation there.

I think the main problem with the faces I'm using here is that they lend a modern look to what really should be a traditional text.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf sunzipart1.pdf (53.7 KB, 213 views)
LDBoblo is offline   Reply With Quote