View Single Post
Old 01-04-2013, 01:51 AM   #107
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadBilly View Post
http://www.collinsdictionary.com/dic...lish/subniveal

You didn't look very hard. It's the third Google result.
As I said in a previous post, dictionaries vary, and they are not always accurate. While the parts of the word do translate to 'under snow,' it's 'meaning' is quite a bit more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BelleZora View Post
Also here:

http://phrontistery.info/s.html

Subniveal: under snow

Wow! That certainly is where I'd go to look for a word... not.

You're right, I didn't look very hard. I didn't need to. It's not an uncommon word. If you use it to mean 'under snow,' someone who has no idea of the meaning will look it up. But anyone who uses the term regularly would scratch their heads and say 'gee, I wonder why they don't know any better.'

It's a common word in Biology, and most people who pay attention to Earth Sciences or winter woods walking, winter wildlife watching, etc., use it often, because it's important to the winter habitat of fox, wolf, and several other predators. They rely on the animals that move through the subnivean layer for their food. You can often see where one has jumped up and down, crushing the snow mass above to try to catch a rodent traveling THROUGH the subnivean zone.

However... should YOU wish to use it to mean 'under snow,' by all means do. But don't be surprised if you see people scratching their heads. It's entirely up to you.

Stitchawl

Last edited by Stitchawl; 01-04-2013 at 01:59 AM.
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote