View Single Post
Old 06-06-2010, 03:59 PM   #13
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randolphlalonde View Post
After writing an unlimited series for a while, I can say that the whole series loses value if you don't:

1 Offer a story of worth in each book.
2 Provide something of a significant size.
3 Wrap it up eventually so your readers have a sense of arrival, or closure from time to time.

Even when ending on a cliffhanger, you have to give everyone the feeling that they experienced a significant event with the main characters, and when that next book comes out, it had better live up to the first, otherwise your readers are going to fetch their pitchforks and torches.

Speaking as a reader, I don't pay for anything under 30,000 words. It's also important to mention that the Wheel of Time lost me at around book 7 because I couldn't see an end in sight, and all the characters had pretty much leveled off and stopped developing. it was an example to learn from. So, do I go for a 1,000 - 2,000 word serial? Not since I was about 12 and reading Azimov's. It was around then that I started skipping them.
Good words! I hate the feeling that I've bought book two that does nothing more than "get me" to book three! I feel like a chump.

Another thing I really dislike are those series novels that (I don't know what the publishing industry calls -em) that are written by by someone else. For example, it seems the 1632 series has turned into some sort of franchise business.
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote