View Single Post
Old 05-21-2010, 12:56 AM   #13
notyou
Connoisseur
notyou can extract oil from cheesenotyou can extract oil from cheesenotyou can extract oil from cheesenotyou can extract oil from cheesenotyou can extract oil from cheesenotyou can extract oil from cheesenotyou can extract oil from cheesenotyou can extract oil from cheesenotyou can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle / Palm Pre / iPhone
B&N Free Fridays?

Surprised not to see a thread on this. I dropped by my local B&N (Westgate, San Jose, CA) to pick up the access code for this week's "Fun and Free eBook", "The No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency".

The Nooks were on a new display positioned to be the first thing you see when you walk in. They are really going all-out with this promotion. Maybe the impending arrival of the Kobo at Borders is forcing them to ramp things up?

Anyways, a security guard near the door (I've always found it odd that this B&N has a dedicated security guard) saw me looking at the Nooks and immediately ran off to get somebody to give me a demo. A few minutes later the salesperson came by, and I told her I had already familiar with the Nook, and was interested in the free book. She gave me a voucher, and told me that they also had a regular "Free Fridays" program where they pick a different book every week to give away. She said in the past few months they've offered "Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" (drat - $4.50 I could've saved!), and a popular romance novel.

I saw a post about Phillip Margolin's "Executive Privilege" being available for free (May 14). (Saw too that it's also free from the Kindle store, alleviating me from having to do the Calibre shuffle)

Apparently these offers are regularly posted to B&N's blog and Twitter feed, so I thought I'd start a new thread to keep track of what's being offered. Good idea? Or better to start a new thread for each book? (I guess if you subscribe to this forum via e-mail, title in thread is better.)

[Edited because I buried the lede.]

Last edited by notyou; 05-22-2010 at 02:16 AM.
notyou is offline   Reply With Quote