Thread: Seriousness DRM != Piracy
View Single Post
Old 05-22-2009, 06:29 AM   #1
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
DRM != Piracy

[I want to respond to p3aul's post in a more suitable place...]

Quote:
Originally Posted by p3aul View Post
I never specically acused anyone of being a pirate. I just cannot think of a really ligitimate reason why anyone would want to ligitemately make many copies of a best selling book.
Paul, the point you're missing is that while DRM stops copying, also stops 'format shifting', which is the primary issue - anyone's who's wanting to many "many copies" uses other routes which avoid the DRM completely.

What the DRM actually means is that if I buy a book with DRM, I can only broadly read that on the device it's enabled for. There are limited exceptions, in that if I buy a Sony DRM book, I could read it on my PC & my Reader, while if I buy a MobiPocket DRM book, I could read it on my PC & my phone, but I can't read either on both my Reader & my phone, which are where I'd like to (as sometimes I've got the phone but not the Reader)
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote