View Single Post
Old 10-19-2008, 11:18 AM   #1
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
Profit or Prevention: Which is more important?

In a previous thread I mentioned that the most important question (from a business standpoint) regarding whether it was a good idea to remove DRM from products was does removing DRM improve the bottom line? HarryT replied by asking if it would reduce piracy.

The truth is I didn't know then and don't know now if large-scale DRM removal would reduce piracy. However this does bring up a new question:

As a MobileRead member, which do you think is better for the industry? Is it more important to reduce piracy or increase sales.

In a physical environment, where there's a fixed cost associated with every copy each loss costs more than the profit from a single sale; but in a digital environment the loss per copy is lower because you don't have the same cost of goods to worry about.

I think that for digital downloads it's more important to tailor your DRM scheme (or lack thereof) toward building sales than preventing piracy. What do you think?
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote