View Single Post
Old 12-09-2017, 05:51 PM   #6
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Old, non-front-lit eReaders. Nooks, Kindles, Sonys, Kobos and Others
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
A device that absolutely positively enforces a minimum margin greater than a couple of pixels or so is wasting display space. Amazon only has 3 margin settings. I don't see how anyone would be harmed by a 4th that would provide a truly minimal margin.
With the Kindle 3 (Keyboard) or Kindle 4 you can (by hand) change the margin to the very edge if you want. It's a simple (non jailbreak) hack. Just hook the Kindle up to your computer, click the system folder, then the com.amazon.ebook.booklet.reader, then open the reader.pref file in a text editor. You'll see something like this ...

#User preferences for Reader Booklet
#Sat Dec 09 16:40:07 CST 2017
FONT_SIZE=21
DICTIONARYen=The New Oxford American Dictionary
LINE_SPACING=1
JUSTIFICATION=full
HORIZONTAL_MARGIN=20
LAST_BOOK_READ=/mnt/us/documents/Ashley Bell A Novel-asin_B00VCZOKM6-type_EBOK-v_0.azw3
FONT_FAMILY=serif

Change the HORIZONTAL_MARGIN= setting to your preference. In the narrowest margin it defaults to 40. I've set mine to 20, but you can go down to 0 if you want. You'll have to restart the Kindle for this change to take effect.

Any change in your margin settings via the font menu will cause the Kindle to go back to its default and, if you want narrower margins again, you'll have to repeat this procedure.

I should mention, this is not something I've discovered. It's something I read in the Kindle Developer Forum under the heading "Collection of Hacks" or something like that. (Sorry I don't know exactly where it is right now.)

Last edited by rcentros; 12-09-2017 at 05:53 PM.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote