View Single Post
Old 09-15-2009, 05:19 AM   #14
Riocaz
Fulfilled but not by iRex
Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Far too many
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haesslich View Post
If you look at the link I suggested, it appears to only affect the reader when turning pages; it's as if, when the screen refreshes, that something interferes with the cels, causing them to not fully turn on unless the UV (or whatever else is in the direct sunlight) is blocked. It doesn't appear to be a defect, since it only showed up with the PRS-505, and Kindles also seem to have the same issue... so it's due to something with the Vizplex sheets. Given the descriptions of the electrophoretic process, the idea of energetic photons causing the cell to turn 'off' when it should be on (and only during the drawing process) seems like a likely hypothesis.
What you think Jswolf doesn turn pages when he's out in the sunshine?.

And whether thats the case whats described in previous threads on the subject does not match what the original poster described.

Previous threads have indicated a whole screen change, or (for example) a hand shaped patch if you lay your hand over the screen while you change pages.

The OP said: "The new page is hardly readable. Letters are missing and there are large white areas on the screen."

Let me re-iterate from my perspective:

I own both the 505 and the 600. with the 505 I have never seen the behavior described by the OP, even when visiting my parents at the height of summer, in southern spain. I have the behavior described before (where the whole screen, or the parts that are in direct sunlight are a little lighter than they are in the shade).

With my 600, obviously being in the UK, and it's September so I can't speak for the heat of summer, but in direct bright warm sunshine as I had on my way to work yesterday (Where did it go? It's feel wintery today, and it's little above twilight outside my office window) it was very readable. Actually more so than it was this morning as bright sunshine seems to overwhelm the reflection and made the screen more readable, not less.

Last edited by Riocaz; 09-15-2009 at 05:41 AM.
Riocaz is offline   Reply With Quote