View Single Post
Old 10-24-2012, 11:29 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rsdonovan View Post
Hi

I just discovered the brilliant facility whereby calibre allows one to copy books from my desktop to my iPad across the Internet!

I set every thing up according to the manual and entered my local IP Address eg something like 42.5.1.8:8080 into the address bar of my browser and was delighted to see a list of books from my desktop PC and was able to copy a couple!

However when I tried this from somebody else's wireless system (without changing the IP address) I got a message saying server not responding even though calibre was running on my PC with Internet transfer enabled.

What am I doing wrong? I know there are two IP addresses (the other one is something like 192.184.56.2:8080) but that one never worked so I assume the local IP address is the one to use - it works perfectly when my iPad is accessing my own router directly, but I'd assumed I would be able to download books from anywhere in the world, assuming I had an Internet connection.

Has anyone got this feature to work remotely? Any help gratefully received.
KEYWORD: Port Forwarding

your router isolates and shares internally.
You need to 1)open a inward bound port (in your case: 8080)
Warning: Pinholes in the firewall expose your system to IMHO get security advice, minimize exposure times.

2)forward the port (8080) to a static/permanently assigned internal IP for the server
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote