View Single Post
Old 08-08-2011, 12:34 AM   #8
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by sej7278 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
calibre does not associate itself with anything, what it does is tell your OS that it is capable of handling a set of mimetypes, as you will see in the calibre*.desktop files. After that, what application the OS associates with each mimetype is up to it. You need to find out how to edit those associations for the programs/desktop environments you use.
can we make it so this isn't the default behaviour?
As already stated this isn't the default behavior.

Quote:
i get fed up of editing /usr/share/applications/calibre* (as well as defaults.list and mimeinfo.cache) every time i upgrade calibre.
I would be fed up too. It will be interesting to know why, on Fedora, you have to do this. I would love to hear from other Fedora users their experience.

Quote:
not try to overtake 20-odd filetypes for every user on a computer.
The behavior you see on your system doesn't happen in Windows or Mac OSes and I'm willing to bet the vast majority of Linux users don't experience this behavior either.

Good Luck in identifying and getting corrected the cause of your system allowing the identifying of mime types to automatically cause an association.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote