View Single Post
Old 10-07-2010, 06:57 PM   #5
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
I seriously doubt syslog-ng would get a nice SIGHUP in case of a crash (or even when doing a hard-reboot for that matter), so syslog-ng probably hasn't much to do with the crashes .

It's probably just coincidental that it happened soon after a log rotation, that's all.

And it's quite possible that in case of a crash, you wouldn't see anything in the logs, because the system crashed before the syslog could dump its buffer in the actual logfile (In which case the only way to actually see an up to date log would be via a live terminal, either a remote shell or a serial console).

The syslog-ng starting & kernel bootlog is a normal boot log output, the 'new configuration initaliazed' msg is specific to the SIGHUP signal, because that's the point of this signal, making the daemon reload the config (because it changed, or in a case of a syslog, to avoid losing logs because an external tool rotated the logfiles [tinyrot in the Kindle case]).
Well I actually doubt at time of a crash as syslog appears to not actually have restarted successfully that it wouldn't be able to log full stop.

A bit of googling suggested this update did fix some of the rebooting issues some people had reported, so I have just done the update, and we will see how it goes. Hopefully it is a little software issue fixed in the update and not a faulty unit.
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote