View Single Post
Old 02-27-2015, 11:46 AM   #32
pypo
pypo began at the beginning.

Device: none
After reading this thread, it is apparent that Calibre is lacking a decent workflow and documentation for people who must edit and save versions of their ebook. I'm talking about authors. This is currently very unsophisticated. Calibre should think along the lines of a repository, where everything changed in the repository is clear and committed. You can also revert changes. The problem now is that the writer must fool around with the file system and guess where things are and what they might be called, at the same time being tricked by complied versions that come up during preview or reading a book, but which don't match the most recent edits. Also, I have saved versions and those saves cannot be found. I have also saved versions and those versions are found, but upon reading the book the older versions (but uneditable versions nevertheless) are coming up in the viewer. Now I'm sure with this I will decipher this mess of file structure, saves, versions and so on. But it is not easy and it involves a lot of time-wasting guesswork and trial and error. On the other hand, Calibre could go for Full-Idiot mode like Apple has done with Garage Band, so that everthing is saved and you have no idea anymore what the relationship is between the application and the file system.
pypo is offline   Reply With Quote