Thread: MobileRead June 2013 *Category* Poll
View Single Post
Old 01-20-2013, 12:37 PM   #27
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I think the Booker is a lot more interesting than the Pulitzer, which is generally a schlockfest. But both are too driven by popularity (Hillary Mantel didn't deserve it for Bring Up the Bodies) and politics--which is why I don't love Awards as a category.
I didn't vote on Award Winners because I've read enough Award Winning books to know they didn't deserve the award. A lot of the awards are a (like you say) popularity contest and not an about how good the writing.story really is.

There's a poll on Goodreads for the best covers and up at the top of the list is Twilight. That just goes to prove that a lot of these awards are nothing more then a popularity contest that doesn't take into account the merit of the book.

But if awards wins, let's find some out there awards and nominate some out there books just because we can.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote