Thread: Touch Dictionary for ST
View Single Post
Old 12-12-2011, 09:42 PM   #11
tdonline
Addict
tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Nook Simple Touch
To keep a long story short. I did indeed download this list of 170,000 words. I then saved it as a RTF file and converted it to EPUB with Calibre. I did run into a glitch which is explained here.

After sorting out the conversion issue, I had a 2.2M EPUB file. The file though lagged and crashed on my Nook. I'm now redoing the EPUB file and splitting it up into much smaller files. So far I have A-B, C-D, E-H and I-L on my Nook. It could probably be done in one sitting but it's a little tedious and because of weekend plans, I didn't have time to finish it. I found that if I broke up the words into smaller paragraphs, it helps with the lagging.

In short, yes, it works. I open up the file with the starting letter, type the word in "find" and then put the Nook dictionary to work. There still seems to be about 1 or 2 second lag but the files do not crash my Nook.

I did a few test runs and there were some words missing from the list. But that's understandable for a list with only 170K entries. There are also words on the list that the Nook dictionary couldn't cover. Meh, for now this works as a makeshift dictionary to look up random words. I'll be happy to pay for a fully functional EPUB dictionary (can't believe it's not available for sale!) or if/when Nook allows us to access the built-in dictionary freely.
tdonline is offline   Reply With Quote