Thread: Touch Dictionary for ST
View Single Post
Old 12-09-2011, 11:13 AM   #1
tdonline
Addict
tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Nook Simple Touch
Dictionary for ST

I have had the ST for two weeks now and am thoroughly enjoying it. One of the things I love most about reading on the Nook is the built in dictionary which makes it so simple to look up words. I'm ashamed to say that since I do not have a dictionary at home, I often skipped or guess at words when reading books. The plan was to check dictionaries on line but getting on the computer usually distracted me from reading.

Well, no more. I am going to be diligent about using a dictionary when reading pbooks. At first I was going to pick up a hardcover dictionary but thought wouldn't an ebook work better? Doesn't take up space in my small apartment and I can use it outside of home. I wish the ST's dictionary could be accessed as a stand-alone book but alas it is what it is.

The problem is that there isn't a good edictionary to buy on BN and Kobo. Amazon has a very well reviewed Merriam-Webster's Collegiate Dictionary, 11th Edition. I've read about using Calibre to turn Kindle books into epub friendly formatting for Nook. As I understand it, the process is easy and formatting is rarely lost. My concern is that with a dictionary, I'm afraid there may be some rare formatting issues that may not translate well. For example, the ability to search for a word. I'd rather not have to go through hundreds/thousands of pages to find a word.

Thanks in advance for any advice you may have.
tdonline is offline   Reply With Quote