Thread: ToC renumbering
View Single Post
Old 01-27-2012, 12:05 PM   #14
meme
Sigil developer
meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, K4 NT, K3, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellmark View Post
Now that the ToC editor has been replaced with only the option to generate ToC from headers, stuff like that is now a pain in the ass.

Requiring you to either make ToC by hand, or use traditional Chapter headings really limits artistic license. Hell, we can't even rename the ToC entries anymore in the ToC view. The old Editor, we could rename the entries, incase we wanted the ToC to appear slightly different than how they were at the start of each Chapter. Not only that, but there are legit uses for using Headers but not wanting it to be listed in the ToC.

I don't know, why even use Sigil if we're forced to code more by hand. I've been using Sigil for quite a while, and there are some changes that have made things easier, but other it so much more difficult.
What exactly do you mean the TOC editor has been replaced? What exactly were you doing before, on what version (I haven't used the old versions much so don't know what to compare the new one to).

If there are features that you want, then if, when you ask for them, you provide more details it might help get them implemented.

For instance, it seems like renaming the entry in the TOC is something that people want. At the moment this can be done by editing the toc.ncx file directly. Or if you generate from headings, then you can put a title value in your heading tag to show the title in the toc instead of the text in the heading. And of course in generating headings you can select which ones to include (0.5.0 even includes an extra drop down that lets you select/unselect based on heading level automatically).

I assume, but I'm only guess, that what you want is the ability to select the TOC entry in the active TOC display and to rename it there without going into the toc.ncx file. If so, that's something I can look into. Though it opens the question of whether or not just the toc.ncx file should be updated, or if the element should have its title value changed as well for consistency (which would also keep generate from headings in sync).
meme is offline   Reply With Quote