View Single Post
Old 11-24-2008, 04:21 PM   #7
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by gv3 View Post
What? The thing can't handle thousands of files?
Well... you say "thousands" you don't say if it is 2 or 20 thousands.

Bottom line... when you add an SD card to the device it has to index the files on it in order to create the library view which lists all the books and allows you to sort by Author/Title/etc. As was said above, this is not a speedy device... but not even that there is ALOT of i/o that has to happen to do this.

Also, you say it "never stops" then you say 1/2 hour. Did you give up after a half hour?

So, two possibilities...

It just takes longer than you are willing to wait.
There is a problem with the SD card or it's format.

I would recommend putting less on the SD card... to try and get a fell for how long it takes to index. Lets say, put 1000 on it, and see how long that takes.

BTW: I think this indexing happens when you add books via USB transfer too... so that won't speed it up. But, you could try to transfer a few hundred at a time, remove and let it index. Although I don't know if it indexes just new files you put on it, or all again. I expect it is the former.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote