View Single Post
Old 09-01-2010, 03:33 AM   #7
lordvetinari2
Zealot
lordvetinari2 is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle 3G+WiFi & Galaxy Note
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
Now that the Kindle comes with WiFi, and assuming you are getting your content from Amazon through WiFi, should the additional surcharge for 3G file transfer be a specific option for those who choose to use that for transferring content?
I asked Amazon CS this very same question on August 6th. Additionally, this 3G surcharge does not make sense if books are transferred from the PC via USB, or transferred to a smartphone app. Below is their reply:

Quote:
I'm sorry for any misunderstanding.

If you download a book using Wifi connection, Android application, using Kindle for PC application there will be no discount on the book and charges will be applied according to the country from where you are downloading.

Free books are also charged when you download using WiFi on the Kindle, using the Android app, or with USB transfer to the Kindle.

I'm sorry we don't have any better news. We look forward to your next visit.
As I understand it, the 3G surcharge is a one-time charge for a permanent service on that ebook. Even if you decide to initially transfer that ebook using WiFi or USB, you could later on decide to redownload that book using 3G, or sync to last page read using 3G, or upload your annotations to that book using 3G, or tweet a passage using 3G.

That said, Amazon should really drop this surcharge for customers with no Kindle 3G capabilities (smartphones, PC, Kindle WiFi-only), because they have no way of costing Amazon money with transfers over 3G. We 3G+WiFi customers are screwed, though.

As HarryT says, I guess this 3G surcharge will go away as Amazon signs local deals with telecoms to avoid roaming charges. However, I will not be holding my breath for that to happen in Spain any time this decade.
lordvetinari2 is offline   Reply With Quote