View Single Post
Old 06-21-2010, 11:56 PM   #1
flyash
Groupie
flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Sony PRS-300 vs. Nook wifi for PDFs

I've got the Sony PRS-600, but the eyestrain is making me rethink my choice. I just ordered a light, so maybe that will resolve the issue.

But if not, I'm going with another reader. I was initially thinking PRS-300, but the Nook wifi, with it's comparable price and the beautiful Nook screen, which I had a chance to see in person today, warrants consideration.

Selection Criteria:
1. PDFs: PDFs are my primary reading material (since I use Calibre, conversion is an option, though I haven't done so yet). I know 5 or 6" screens are suboptimal for PDFs, but I thought the 600 did a satisfactory job with them for my purposes (mostly non-technical pdfs, but with occasional drawings).

I didn't use the Sony 600's zoom much, but I mostly read cropped PDFs (thank you Gerhard for BRISS!) in landscape mode (small font) or portrait mode (medium font). So I'd like to get as close as possible to that with the replacement device. As far as I know, neither the 300 or Nook have zoom, and the Nook does not have landscape mode, while the 300 does. Of course, the Nook has a bigger screen, so that might offset lack of landscape when compared to the 300.

2. Open format and not tied to any vendor. I never bothered installing Sony's software and just used Calibre from day one. I'd like to do the same with the replacement device. Obviously I can with the 300. But how about the Nook? Do I need to install B&N software or sign up for an account with them, etc.? Am I able to load whatever I want onto the Nook?

3. Organization on device. I love Sony's 'Collections' feature (in conjunction with Calibre's tagging) and never look at the 'Books' list. How does the Nook compare in this regard, keeping in mind that I'll be using Calibre (assuming I can with the Nook)?

4. Bookmarks - can the Nook maintain multiple bookmarks the way the Sony can?

5. Anything else? Assuming the Nook meets my requirements described above, it seems like a no-brainer with all the other advantages over the 300 - memory expandability, touch screen (even if it is just a strip), bigger screen, wifi.

Thanks in advance for any feedback and insights.

Last edited by flyash; 06-22-2010 at 12:00 AM.
flyash is offline   Reply With Quote