View Single Post
Old 05-20-2018, 01:27 PM   #47
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
As is probably obvious, I tend to agree with AnotherCat regarding the quality of this book.

I don't mind if historical fiction that does a bit of bending of the facts here and there, or if it's selective about which parts its wants to tell. It's for the good of the story. But I have much higher expectations of a book that presents itself as non-fiction. I expect the author to make up their mind: are they telling me a story or are they telling me the facts? When you make me guess at which parts are true, as this book does, I might as well be reading fiction, at least then I might be in for a happy ending.

The book is obviously well researched, we can tell that by the various quotes the author inserts in support of the embellishments, but it also appears to be so selective as to be deliberately distorting. So far the book would have me believe that almost every girl that worked in the industry is going to die as a direct result. The few paragraphs that AnotherCat quoted paint a very different picture.

Having the facts doesn't stop me having sympathy, and I don't need the author to paint villains in order to understand the frustrating time these women had in getting anyone to take any notice of what was happening. Indeed, having the facts might help understand how it came to be like that.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote