View Single Post
Old 02-08-2019, 03:56 PM   #31
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by geek1011 View Post
Opinions are what creates discussion. ... Thanks for the feedback! This will probably clear up other people's questions as well.
This is where my 'can of worms' sensor went off...

Quote:
and some of the built-in CSS mods (such as the full screen fixes until recently, the CSS inliner to deal with the buggy FW and some buggy books, etc)
... seems to allow for auto-incorporating what would normally be applied via a patch.

Quote:
- Apply CSS modifications to fix or tweak bugs (see above) or Kepub features (like hyphenation)
... seems to be a prime candidate for conflicting with the 'Modify CSS' option in the KT/KTE drivers and the Hyphenation option in KTE.

Quote:
- Apply fixes to book-breaking (i.e. book is not readable) CSS and HTML layout which are in multiple books by a publisher
If there are a well-defined set of problems with a source book why fix the kepub? Why not fix the source instead? That's what the Modify Epub (ME) and Quality Check (QC) plugins were supposed to be for.

Quote:
- Remove extra MS/ADE/iBooks/Calibre cruft
... again, if there is MS/ADE/iBooks cruft in the source why not remove it from the source using ME or QC or even a new bespoke Kobo-centric epub modifying plugin?

For the "calibre cruft" (very subjective), won't the calibre send-to-device process put it all back in again in the on-device kepub? If you're talking about removing it only from the calibre library kepub then that might be useful if you wanted to manually edit the kepub because the OPF file is very unwieldy with all the custom metadata included in there. OTOH only a masochist would want to manually edit a kepub because of all those KoboSpans - even if you could open a .kepub file extension in the calibre Editor - which currently you can't via the GUI.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote