View Single Post
Old 01-21-2009, 07:25 AM   #2
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Many of the Baen Mobipocket files have poor or non-existent metadata.

Best bet for automating the metadata, at least a bit, is to enter their* ISBN and try to get metadata from that.

Paul

(*Baen eBooks also don't have proper ISBN numbers - they tend to only have the hardpack/papaerback ISBN numbers mentioned in the ebook text. Since Baen eBook are really only sold from the webscription website, I think they feel an iSBN number for the ebook version is overkill. Especially as for they 'should' use a different ISBN for each format - a way to eat up ISBN numbers pretty quickly. They're not free... Hmm... considering they've published around 600 ebooks, in six formats, that would cost about $7000 to assign them all ISBN numbers. )

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrancisT View Post
I have got a shedload of (mostly Baen) ebooks in Mobi format (either .mobi or older .prc extension). When I import them into Calibre they tend to be author "unknown" and not have other metadata fields filled consistently.

Is this a calibre problem? And if so is it soemthing that someone is working on fixing?

If not. Is there a way that I can examine the files to see if they are missing the meta-data? And how easy would it be to create a plugin that contacts (say) the Baen website to get the correct metadata for a file?

Now that I've imported all my books though I'm now having trouble manually adding metadata via the GUI. There is I see a way to add/modify metadata via the CLI. If I do this will it break things when I correct the Title/author fields?

[Alternatively I could probably use perl and sqlite support and edit the metadata.db file directly. I'm guessing this would be an even worse idea]
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote