View Single Post
Old 06-05-2009, 01:37 PM   #1
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Jerome, Jerome K.: Three Men in a Boat (illustrated) v6 07 april 2010

I made this book to see how far i could push the epub format. I played with advanced features like wrapping non-rectangular images, and included stylistic details like drop caps, illuminated capitals and an embedded font. it was meant as an experiment and a learning experience for myself, but i decided to share it as well because it's a brilliant, hilarious story and i think the illustrations really add to it.

because of the advanced formatting i used, this particular version can't easily be converted to mobipocket, and won't render as well on a small screen (like iphone screens) ; to see it in all its wrapped-illustration, embedded fontification glory, i recommend reading it on a 5" or 6" screen minimum, or alternately on a pc / notebook / netbook (i know, i know ! but apparently some people do that )... i've justified the text since i know a lot of people prefer that, and that will show up in ADE or Bookworm.

Since this is my first 100% hand-coded epub, all comments are welcome, and if you spot any errors (i haven't proof-read the text) please let me know.

Description from wikipedia :

Quote:
Three Men in a Boat (To Say Nothing of the Dog), published in 1889, is a humorous account by Jerome K. Jerome of a boating holiday on the Thames between Kingston and Oxford.

The book was initially intended to be a serious travel guide, with accounts of local history along the route, but the humorous elements took over to the point where the serious and somewhat sentimental passages seem a distraction to the comic novel. One of the most praised things about Three Men in a Boat is how undated it appears to modern readers, the jokes seem fresh and witty even today.

The three men are based on Jerome himself (the narrator J.) and two real-life friends, George Wingrave (who went on to become a senior manager in Barclays Bank) and Carl Hentschel (the founder of a London printing business, called Harris in the book), with whom he often took boating trips. The dog, Montmorency, is entirely fictional, but "as Jerome admits, developed out of that area of inner consciousness which, in all Englishmen, contains an element of the dog." The trip is a typical boating holiday of the time in a Thames camping skiff. This is just after commercial boat traffic on the Upper Thames had died out, replaced by the 1880s craze for boating as a leisure activity.

edit : v2 already ! fixed a few details in the metadata. previous downloads : 7.
v3 : removed thumbs.db to reduce filesize. downloads of version 2 : 26
v4 : added missing hr to chapter 2. downloads of v3 : 15
thank goodness for the mad proof-reading skillz around here.
v5 : corrected more typos, removed unused font file, and removed extraneous alt texts (thank you to alecE, Esseb, and Valloric). downloads of v4 : 228
v6 : thanks to Jellby, corrected many many (...many...) typos and formatting errors. much karma to him for taking the trouble to make notes of all those little details. downloads of v5 : 924
This work is assumed to be in the Life+70 public domain OR the copyright holder has given specific permission for distribution. Copyright laws differ throughout the world, and it may still be under copyright in some countries. Before downloading, please check your country's copyright laws. If the book is under copyright in your country, do not download or redistribute this work.

To report a copyright violation you can contact us here.
Attached Files
File Type: epub Jerome, Jerome K - Three Men in a Boat.epub (1.36 MB, 10779 views)

Last edited by zelda_pinwheel; 04-07-2010 at 02:41 PM.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote