View Single Post
Old 01-06-2017, 02:17 AM   #153
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScalyFreak View Post
I am becoming more and more confused about how exactly customers of ARe who have lost books, managed and read the books they bought from the site.

If a person had an account with ARe, and purchased from the website via their computer, the default option was to download one copy of the book in an available format. mostly ePub. That one ePub copy landed in their default download folder, and the person would then use a program of their choice to manage it along with their other books (in my case I use Calibre).

The ARe app became an option late in the site's life cycle. If someone at that point started to exclusively use the app then, yes, they have probably lost those books. But any books they downloaded and read before they started using the app should still be on their computers, since that used to be the only way to get them onto an eReader. In fact, anyone who wanted to read their ARe books on a device that wasn't a smartphone or a tablet with the app on (or their computer...), would have needed to follow the method I described, and then side-loaded the ePub files to their eReader using either Calibre or a similar software.

That user would only have been able to lose the ARe books they bought but never downloaded, or the books they bought and never transferred outside the site's exclusive app. If that's the majority of their library that is too bad, but now we're back at the point of the discussion where I politely suggest that person needs to educate themselves just a bit better on how file storage and back-ups work and how to use them.
They could have emailed directly from ARE to their kindle. I saw a few posts on FB asking if they were safe.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote