View Single Post
Old 09-21-2014, 03:39 AM   #7
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by gyeben View Post
Where are these betas available? Are there any betas for older models (such as 614 or 624)?
Betas are usually available for a very short time. They were published by our fellow mobilereader Forkosigan on a German forum on server Alles-ebook.de.
I got my copy from a friend on my local forum.
This is complete redesign - completely different Home, with Covers in group of threes instead of "good old" list like on previous models. - This is one of very annoying changes I have mentioned. I want to believe there will be configuration option to return to a list listing books, not just a few covers. Covers aren't THAT bad if the book does have cover, when it doesn't have, it uses just ugly placeholder, or a picture of first page in pdf (so when the pdf has no cover, good luck for guessing which one it is). The Home looks as annoying as default Kindle or Nook home page.
There is upper "slide-down" menu for WiFi, light, settings like on Android.
You can enable this for fbreader and adobereader. So our dear developers have "Kindlified" user interface for reading apps. The bottom status bar can ONLY show current page / all pages number, instead of: time, day of week, title of book, battery charge light level and lots of other info configurable on previous models. You wanna see the time or battery level - use TWO status bars. One on bottom, the other - an Android wannabe - at the top [Where the hell is emoticon for EXTREME frustration when I need it?!?]
Also configuration screen for fbreader and adobe reader have met the fate of Gnome 3 or Metro interface.

There was talk about PocketBook porting this 5.x firmware to PB623 or 626 on the alles-ebook.de forum, but it has been apparently postponed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkomar View Post
I know that, on the older devices, the menu option to use another app only appears if there are more than one apps specified in the extensions.cfg file. So I'm not sure whether you're saying that there is no "Open with" menu item because there is only one app for reading, or because the extensions.cfg file is no longer supported. Have you tried modifying exensions.cfg and adding a fake app to see if the "Open with..." menu option appears?
I used the vsftpd to get extensions.cfg and I have successfully modified it. It even works, opening epub in whatever program that is listed as the first in a list for format - fbreader.app, adobereader.app or even epubinfo I have stolen from a theme that Sir Steiner made for PB623. So with epubinfo I can choose between fbreader.app and adobereader.app, but only ONCE. The next time you open the book in the library and use epubinfo to choose, it uses the program you used when you opened the book for the first time, regardless of your choice.
By the way, it is very difficult to find out whether you are using fbreader or adobereader, because both of them have "kindlified" UI and the difference is minimal. [I urgently need that "extremely pissed off" emoticon ;-)]
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote