View Single Post
Old 10-09-2013, 06:07 PM   #603
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
You're using some terminology I don't understand, or you've misunderstood.

SMALLCAPS IS WHAT WAS DESCRIBED, I thought.

Raised Initials is surely something different?
PDurrant:

I likely misspoke. I was making an assumption, based upon the fact that he used a K7 mobi generated by Calibre. He said something along the lines of using caps and setting a font-size. What I most commonly see from Calibre-made MOBI K7 files is a Raised Initial in lieu of a Dropcap.

If he meant a faux small-cap...actually, given the extremely limited font-size manipulation for K7, I can't see that working at all. So, I give up on that topic, without actually seeing it (the code/book).

Yes, I concur, what you are displaying as a Raised Initial and Smallcaps are what I mean when I say, "Raised Initial" versus "smallcaps." I vaguely recall trying to force a faux small-cap in K7, upon a client's unrelenting insistence, about....2 years ago, and while it worked "somewhat" in K2 and K3, it didn't work worth dog's bollocks in Kindle for X (anything) and was fairly catastrophic in Kindle for iPad, if memory serves.

Or it seemed to work in one reader, but was unreadably small in the other...really don't recall. As you would know better than almost anyone, when you try to use incremental font-sizes in K7, it simply rounds up or down to the next-available font-size (e.g., small, very small, medium, large, very-large) or one of the 8 available font sizes that already display as font-size options on the device.

So, yes, I stand corrected on this poster's intent; and yes, we are talking about the same things when we use the same words.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote