Thread: HTML books
View Single Post
Old 05-21-2008, 11:34 PM   #11
nrapallo
GuteBook/Mobi2IMP Creator
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: REB1200 EBW1150 Device: T1 NSTG iLiad_v2 NC Device: Asus_TF Next1 WPDN
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bryant View Post
But how do you do THAT? I have several 5+ MB HTML books and they're several thousand "pages" long. Even if you remember where you were, how do you get there quickly? I would call that broken.

My old REB1100 allocated page numbers, and remembered them. And when you turned it back on, there you were in a couple of seconds, not half a minute or more. I know the files were not HTML, but RB files are constructed like HTML. Moreover if you changed the font size you did not lose your place and the page numbers changed accordingly, so fast software techniques to do it must be available.

James
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadon View Post
The REB didn't do such calculations of the fly. When the ebook was constructed, the creation program pre-paginated for two font sizes that you could switch between. So the logic was something like "page 123 in medium font is text-block 8764 which translates to page 495 in x-large font according to the lookup table". All the heavy lifting was done at creation time, and and depended on having only two fixed choices. If a unit lets one change fonts and select any size, that "figure it out ahead of time" ability is lost.
This is only true for the Ebookwise 1150 as it has actual page numbers and can display only two font sizes for which the page numbers are pre-computed at "creation time".

The REB 1100 only has a vertical bar that shows your progress "into the ebook" and does not display page numbers. I believe the REB 1100 can calculate the pages "on the fly" since it can use any two sizes of "user selected" fonts which are not (necessarily) known at "creation time".

Both readers (EBW 1150 and REB 1100) were designed and manufactured in early 2000, but are very capable at handling large html files with many hyperlinks once they are "converted" into the reader's native format by its conversion software.
nrapallo is offline   Reply With Quote