View Single Post
Old 05-07-2008, 08:14 PM   #47
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
I heard that things are explained in the last book The Rise of Endymion but that thw two last books was not worth reading.
You know, I honestly can't remember at the moment. It sounds right - about the "explanations" - but it's been a while.

This is one of those books/series that I'm surprised to see amongst the disliked, because I enjoyed it so thoroughly (his Ilium and Olympos...not so much, though still a satisfactory read for me).

I do absolutely love the fact that people can call "boring" what others call "brilliance", and vice versa, and all the shades in-between. It's not the disagreement, but the individuality that I like (perhaps it's because it stops me feeling like there's something wrong with me because I didn't much like Perdido Street Station).

One of the books that has a popularity that leaves me wavering as to whether to read it or not is Down and Out in the Magic Kingdom by Cory Doctorow. Some folks enthuse about it (including some folks that I "know" to some degree, and can therefore make better guesses as to whether I might enjoy it), but I get put off worrying about the Perdido-effect.

If I had to list the one SF novel that "changed my life", it would probably be Samuel R. Delany's Dhalgren. It's one I need to read again, but it's a book that, as a teenager, resounded amongst the chaos of hormones, identity and sexuality that I swam in, and it continues to echo down the years. Yes, I must read it again.

Cheers,
Marc
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote