View Single Post
Old 04-18-2011, 10:09 AM   #19
Mark Rehorst
was engr, now dentist
Mark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic something

Device: Kindle DXG
Since we're on a troll-feeding frenzy I should reveal what I've been keeping to myself for months...

I have retrofitted an iPad touch screen sensor to my DXG and managed to fit it into the DXG case with no increase in size. The display contrast is actually improved owing to the special optical properties of the iPad touch screen. What do I do with a touch screen on my DXG? I'm glad you asked...

I have set the device up to dual boot a modified Kindle firmware and Ubuntu 11.04 linux. When I switch between OS's linux boots in about 6 seconds. The Kindle firmware takes a little longer. The touch interface works remarkably well when web browsing and for controls when playing youtube and netflix videos in Ubuntu, and certain modifications to the Kindle firmware have allowed me to play Doom 2 under the Kindle OS almost as well as under Ubuntu. I can pinch and zoom on pdfs and of course, the orientation sensor is great for racing games where it handles steering my car.

You might think all this performance would decrease battery charge life but in reality, I have extended it by 60 operating hours by eliminating certain inefficiencies in the Kindle OS and by using Powertop in linux to pare the running processes down to bare minimum.

Oh yeah, while I was in there I bumped internal storage up to 128GB using a couple 64 GB micro SDHC cards. I can now carry the equivalent of the library of congress with me everywhere or at least a dozen movies in 720p HD.

Regarding movies- I tried setting up for 3D but alas, even with my improvements in the firmware, the thing is just too slow to deliver flicker free 3D. Oh well, maybe in the next DX...

I'll be posting the how-tos on all this stuff on my web page as soon as I have time to sit down and write the pages up.

Last edited by Mark Rehorst; 04-23-2011 at 02:45 AM.
Mark Rehorst is offline   Reply With Quote