View Single Post
Old 02-15-2011, 10:49 PM   #21
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by vbkun View Post
Well, if they get eink color, with good color definition (of course that won't show up in next weeks, but washed colors is a start)
The color eInk I'm aware of is based on designs eInk first announced back in 2006. It's 12 bit color. For many applications, that will simply not be adequate.

Quote:
they can expand the whole eink market beyond readers. Publicity indoor, graphic designers would love to have angle-variation-color-prof display to work at,
Not based on eInk's color scheme, they wouldn't. You need accurate color. (I've been a designer in the past, and keep my hand in with occasional side projects. Color eInk would not do here.)

Quote:
people who spend their entire work time in front of a computer (I'm sure that this is also a eye-straining task),
Oddly, most folks who report eyestrain trying to read ebooks on LCD screens do not report it for normal use, like browsing MR.

I don't consider myself representative, since I've spent the majority of the day staring at a computer monitor since well before LCD screens became the norm, and have had no problems. My standard ebook viewer is a PDA with an LCD screen.

Quote:
if we start to think beyond books I bet there are a lot more applications to a color eink display that can play videos, and i can see even myself moving to a lower refresh rate to release my eyes from lcd (and save loads and loads on pre-printing everything to check colors).
Good luck on the latter. I really don't see color eInk achieving the color required. And you still need to do test prints for any designs that will be printed. Ink on paper is different from colors on a screen, and the second is only an approximate guide to how the first will look.

Quote:
Again, it's not there yet but u need to learn 1+1 before analytical mathematics :P.
The question is whether it ever will be there.
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote