View Single Post
Old 05-05-2012, 05:12 AM   #1
jmb1970
jmb1970 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3K , kindle 4NT
HELP! Unhacking 2nd hand K4NT back to stock

Hello everyone, I am a new participant from Paris and the community here appears as competent as helping so I thought I would request a bit of assistance.

I have been happily using a Kindle 3G keyboard for a one year now and recently purchased a used Kindle 4 NT for my daughter. Very quickly, I found that the characters were not as clean and contrast was not as high as on my old K3 so I thought I would at least turn on the full refresh option.

Unfortunately the K4 seemed to be on the 4.0 firmware so I tried to update to 4.0.1. However, i could not. The menu entry "update my kindle" always remained greyed out. I tried several times, through USB or OTB, to no avail.

So my assumption is that the Kindle is hacked, and somehow was configured - willingly or not - to not update to a newer firmware.

Now my priority is still to be able to turn on or off full refresh. If I can unhack the kindle it is even better. Of course, I want to avoid bricking it in the process.

Thanks in advance for your support !

(edit) by the way I registered it under my Amazon account and had Amazon CS call me for support but they could not help. They downloaded system information from the Kindle and said they would get back to me.

Last edited by jmb1970; 05-05-2012 at 05:19 AM.
jmb1970 is offline   Reply With Quote