View Single Post
Old 10-24-2017, 10:13 AM   #6
AlanHK
Guru
AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW-3, iPad, Android phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sella174 View Post
Not sure if this will solve the problem, but in the aforementioned guide under Section 14, dictionaries are discussed.
It's a novel with a glossary of technical terms, so no.

Quote:
I do not see what is happening as being Amazon's fault. Rather I would (and am) blaming the W3C for derailing HTML. For how long have people been screaming for a <footnote> tag? Ten, twenty years? Forget it, because social media and games get preference and they have no use for footnotes, endnotes, summaries, etc.
Of course it's their fault: they create a footnote from my text because they imagine that's what I might be doing, not because I asked for one. Their guidelines have "Amazon requires formatting footnotes with bi-directional hyperlinks". Which is fine. But then the arrogant jerks make the reverse also true. I can see their motive to automagically enable older books with bidirectional footnotes to use popup footnotes. But they provide no way to override their assumption.

They say: "Non-footnote links should use the format A links to B and B links to C instead."
As above, I tried that and it did not work.

Quote:
As an aside, for correctly structured HTML, your glossary should be in the form of a definition list (<dl>). I see that Kindle understands it.
Semantically, yes, and looks fine on a monitor, but on a portrait 6" screen not so great. It puts the term on its own line, and indents the definition, wasting a lot of space on a small page. There would be much less text per screen.
I care about how it looks, not how a hypothetical bot might parse it.

I was using this for style:
Code:
.gloss {
    text-indent: -1.5em;
    margin-top: 0.5em;
    margin-left: 1.5em;
}

Last edited by AlanHK; 10-24-2017 at 10:17 AM.
AlanHK is offline   Reply With Quote